Senior Performance Engineer / Architect
Cambridge, MA 02138 | Full Time
Senior Performance Engineer / Architect needed!
High Profile Company seeks Senior Performance Engineer / Architect to own the performance testing design and execution activities for a broad range of applications and platforms.
This is a full-time direct hire career opportunity with an organization that offers very competitive compensation (120K++), interesting project work and a progressive work environment.
In this role you will drive performance strategy using your business savvy and technical leadership skills,working closely with architects and technical leads to define the long term strategy for repeatable and scalable performance testing activities.
* Define and implement an effective performance engineering strategy and load/stress testing methodology for a set of multi-tenant, high traffic web applications built on Ruby, Java and PHP .
* Work with product management, QA and engineering leads to gather SLAs and non-functional requirements to model scenarios for load/stress testing, monitoring and performance tuning.
* Define, own and report on KPIs for application performance and scalability.
* Profile all aspects of the software and technology stack using diagnostics tools to identify areas causing suboptimal performance, lead root cause analysis and fix efforts to remediate issues.
* Advise product management and engineering leads on application performance to enable the team make informed decisions when designing new products/features.
* Actively participate in technical designs and source code reviews to provide feedback and guidance on design best practices and help the engineering team ‘design for performance’.
* Collaborate with Development Operations and Engineering staff across the company and technical stacks to share knowledge, tools and best practices on performance engineering and scalability topics.
* A track record of building or adopting robust performance test automation frameworks, benchmarks, and profiling tools.
* 6+ years of experience with software design and development in at least one of the programming languages Java, Ruby or PHP .
* 3+ years of enterprise level performance engineering experience including test planning, design and execution on high-traffic web applications.
* Demonstrated ability to understand web architectures, distributed systems and databases, pinpoint problem areas, demonstrate the ability to analyze data for bottlenecks, and develop succinct test plans across multiple hardware and software tiers.
* Hands-on experience in using commercial performance engineering and tools such as Wily Introscope or NewRelic to monitor and measure performance across all OSGI layers.
* Outstanding attention to detail and the ability to analyze technical data.
* Ability to identify potential limitations in software architectures.
* Strong understanding of throughput, latency, memory and CPU utilization.
* Working knowledge of operating system design, database tuning and administration.
* Working knowledge of load generation and measurement software such as HP LoadRunner, Apache JMeter, Grinder, Gatling.io or Firebug.
* Experience with SOAP or RESTful web services API testing.
* Strong communication, collaboration, and mentoring skills.
* Experience in Agile/Scrum environment.