Senior Linux Systems Engineer
New York, NY 10017 | Full Time
Top International Company seeks a Senior Linux Systems Engineer
This is a great opportunity to work on a wide range of technologies with the main focus being on Linux systems design and engineering.
You will be working in a highly creative and innovative team environment alongside systems & network designers, architects, network security and integration specialists and be responsible for architecting, building and managing Linux based appliances.
You would be involved in the full life cycle, from specifying the hardware requirements to building systems, automation and management tools.
You will work closely with internal Application Development teams to understand how an application functions and the system and operational requirements in supporting it.
You will also be responsible for developing procedures and documentation as well the training of operations and implementation personnel worldwide.
* You will be responsible for overseeing the lifecycle of the systems and network infrastructure.
* Developing highly scalable applications and APIs for managing Linux servers remotely
* Developing tools and procedures to facilitate unattended automated build of Linux servers
* Develop tools to monitor system and application performance with focus on scalability, performance and HA.
This role offers competitive salary plus bonus, great benefits and a great work environment.
* BS degree in Computer Science or related course of study
* Strong understanding of Linux operating system
* Strong knowledge and prior experience with at least one of following scripting languages: Perl, Ruby, Python
* Knowledge of network protocols like TCP/IP, HTTP, HTTPS, NTP, RPC, TFTP, SNMP, DHCP
* Good understanding of Linux core and network services like Upstart, Sendmail, Syslog, SSH, Apache, MySQL, Iptables
* Proficiency in day to day system administration tasks such as package management and deployment, troubleshooting system and hosted applications related issues, system/network performance parameter tuning
* Prior experience with configuration management tools such as cfengine or chef is a plus as is e xperience using version control systems such as Git/SVN/CVS
* Working knowledge of any of virtualization technologies such as kvm/xen/lxc is helpful
* Experience with Internet connectivity infrastructure such as firewalls, load sharing devices, proxies, intrusion prevention/ detection, VPN and network and traffic analysis
* Familiarity with systems management concepts, processes and standards (e.g. SNMP), capacity / performance management and tuning and network management.